TheseSloppyJoesare truly the best I’ve ever had! They’ve got the ultimate tangy, sweet, and savory sauce plus a few “hidden” veggies! Pile the meat sauce high on some toasted buns and be prepared to crave sloppy joes on the daily!
For an even healthier version, try these土耳其邋lea。
If you’re anything like me, you may wonder how this saucy tomato-and-beef sandwich got its name. It has a debated history — some say it was born in Sloppy Joe’s Bar, (an iconic Florida restaurant), some say it was dreamt up in Havana at Sloppy Joe’s Saloon, and others attribute sloppy Joes to a cafe in Iowa when a cook named Joe created a messy, loose meat sandwich with tomato sauce.
Loose meat sandwiches have been a staple for years in the Midwest. In the 19th century, ground beef gained popularity for being a cheap and nourishing food option. To help that ground beef serve more hungry mouths, creative cooks added “fillers” (think breadcrumbs, tomato, cheese, ketchup) to stretch it. So meatloaves, stews, meatballs, etc. were created and that’s when “loose meat sandwiches” also came about. A sloppy Joe is a loose meat sandwich with tomatoes or tomato sauce added to it and served on a bun.
Another frequently asked question regarding sloppy Joes:
Manwich®是由Conagra和Hunt的食品公司出售的商标品牌的制备的Sloppy Joe Cauce。尽管如此，这种食谱很容易制造和味道这么新鲜，我强烈建议从头开始制作酱！金沙城中心网址
How to make Sloppy Joes from scratch
- Sauté the veggies.这座蔬菜基座增加了甜味，纹理，并延伸了碎牛肉。花点时间真正融化蔬菜，并帮助揭示他们的自然甜味。
- Cook the ground beef.Once the veggies are tender, we add the ground beef. Cook the beef over high heat: Let it stand in the hot skillet for 45 seconds to a minute before stirring, to get a bit of a sear from the hot pan. Browning on the beef = flavor.
- 加入西红柿和番茄酱。We add the tomatoes before the other ingredients to sauté them a bit and bring out their natural sweetness.
- Add remaining ingredients.Next, we add everything else that perfectly seasons and flavors the beef. There are a few secret ingredients that really set these sloppy joes apart from most. The Worcestershire sauce adds a nice Umami flavor and saltiness, the beef bouillon intensifies the beefy flavor of the meat, and the dry mustard powder adds flavor and tang.
- Simmer and serve.一切都在煎锅中，我们煨混合物，确保完美的酱汁，这是不太干燥或太流涕的（见下面的照片，我的首选酱汁厚度为邋joes的酱汁厚度）。为Bugind Buns提供完全加厚的酱汁，为有史以来最好的Sloppy Joe！
- Our absolute favorite way to serve Sloppy Joes is on toasted鞋垫buns。(Here’s how to toast buns — on a grill, in a pan, or in the oven). Before toasting the buns, I recommend buttering both of the insides (use softened butter or butter in a tub).
- Add the sloppy Joe mixture to the bunrightbefore eating。这有助于避免潮湿的面包。
- 使用剩余的肉混合物顶级烤土豆或薯条。加分上添加磨碎的奶酪everything (similar to these装有炸玉米饼薯条)!
- Add some of the leftover meat to agrilled cheese sandwich或者thisBurger Recipe(doubling the meat is always a win).
- Sweeten to taste.You may want to adjust how much brown sugar you use, depending on the crushed tomatoes and the ketchup used (some are sweeter than others). I likeHeinz®Ketchup.(This brand is not sponsored in this post).
- Grate the onion on a cheese grater.诚然奇怪的一步,我发誓通过光栅onion for Sloppy Joes! It ensures a perfect dispersion of onion throughout without inevitable crunchy onion chunks.
- Use a food processor.This helps get your veggies finely chopped without spending forever chopping. Just add them to the processor bowl and pulse a few times. Don’t over-pulse the veggies or liquefy them; just pulse enough times to get them into small pieces equivalent to a dice.
- Once everything has been added to the skillet,simmer the sauce.This helps thicken up the sauce, meld all the flavors, and ensure the meat is very tender.
- Make in the slow cooker: If you’d rather skip the simmering, there’s another method to try. Once everything has been added to the skillet, transfer it all to a Crock-Pot. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Be sure to stir it before serving!
What sides go with Sloppy Joes?
- Potato chips
- 洋葱圈,Frenchfries, orsweet potato fries
- Bread and butter or dill泡菜
- Pickled red onions
- Elote（或普通烤corn on the cob)
- A pastasaladlike thisGreek pasta salad
More ground beef recipes
- Taco Lasagnareader favorite recipe!
- Beef Tacosbaked and ready in 30 minutes or less
- Pasta e FagioliOlive Garden copycat
- Ground Beef Stroganoffserved over egg noodles
- Beef Larb在椰子米的泰国风格的碎牛肉
- 1tablespoonolive oil
- 1tablespoonunsalted butter
- 2茶匙sminced garlic（2-3丁香）
- 1/2cupfinely chopped carrot(~1 medium carrot)
- 1cup切碎的红甜椒(~1 bell pepper)
- 1poundlean (90/10) ground beef
- 1tablespoontomato paste
- 1can (14.5 ounces)粉碎的西红柿
- 1/2cupketchup(Heinz recommended)
- 2茶匙sWorcestershire sauce
- 1tablespoonlight brown sugar,(See Note 1)
- 1茶匙dry mustard powder
- 2茶匙sbeef bouillon powder
- 1茶匙red wine vinegar,optional
- Brioche buns(or your favorite hamburger buns, for serving)
- Optional: butter for toasting buns
PREP VEGGIES: Peel an onion and grate it on the large holes of a cheese grater. Mince the garlic, finely chop (or grate on the large holes) a carrot, and finely chop the red pepper. ALTERNATIVELY, add a coarsely chopped carrot, coarsely chopped red pepper, and garlic to a food processor and pulse into diced pieces.
厨师蔬菜: Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to a large cast iron skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, garlic, carrot, and bell pepper. Sauté for 6-8 minutes or until liquid from the veggies has evaporated and veggies are mostly tender. Using a wooden spoon, press the veggies to the edges of the skillet and add 1 pound ground beef in the center of the pan. Let stand for 45 seconds in the heat and then stir and crumble the meat into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink and cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. As you crumble and cook the meat, incorporate the veggies into the meat.
SAUCE: Add the 1 tablespoon tomato paste and 1 can crushed tomatoes. Stir for 2-3 minutes to bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes. Add the 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar（见注释1），1 teaspoon ground mustard/mustard powder, 2 teaspoons beef bouillon powder, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir well and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer the mixture until sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Prepare the buns while the sauce is cooking. Once thickened, stir in the 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar if desired. Season sauce if needed.
FINISH：从热量中取出煎锅。将混合物舀在烤面包顶部(See Note 2)并立即享受。