Kale Avocado Salad
通常商店买生菜开始后枯萎约四到六天，这样我们试图限制我们的杂货店购物之旅，我决定在甘蓝囤积代替。芥兰拥有更长的保质期比菠菜或混合蔬菜，我已经能够发挥创意与我如何使用它。我们已经取得了这个kale couscous salada few times with whatever veggie remnants I had lurking in the fridge andkale and quinoa saladis on the menu plan this week.
While I love the fruit-filled kale salad recipes I’ve shared on this site, I was craving a garden style type salad to make alongside thesestuffed shellsthe other night — one with plenty of veggies and a way to use up some ripe avocados. So that is where this kale avocado salad comes in. It’s packed with veggies and coated in a creamy avocado-lemon dressing. We made it almost every night last week and I’m pleased to announce I’ve finally won over even the littlest one to kale, thanks to this recipe!
Preparing the kale
那么什么是秘法？Massagingthe kale. Strange? Yes, a little. Effective? Absolutely. Here’s how we do it:
- Start byremoving the thick stemsand then verythinly slice(ribbon) the kale. I think the smaller the pieces or shreds of kale, the better it tastes.
- Once it’s all chopped, throw it in acolander(or for a quicker preparation time, use the base of asaladspinner！），并给它一个快速冲洗。
- Next, sprinkle somefine sea salton top and, using your hands, rub and massage the salt into the kale.
- 允许羽衣甘蓝to drycompletelybefore adding it to the salad (a salad spinner speeds that process quite a bit). If the kale is wet, the dressing won’t adhere as well.
- Rubbing the leaves with salt creates friction that breaks down the tough fibers and mellows out the flavor. It’s not an old wives’ tale; there’s real science to it!Read a bit more about it in this article.
This salad dressing is a mash up of recipes fromhereandhere. It’s tangy, creamy, sweet, and the perfect companion to the kale. The lemon juice and zest adds a beautiful freshness and vibrancy, the Dijon mustard adds tang and thickness, and the avocado makes the dressing luxuriously thick and creamy.
The best part? We just throw everything into a blender and let it whirl. I like to chill the dressing at least 20 minutes before adding it to the salad, but it can be made several hours in advance.
Because of the avocado in it, I wouldn’t recommend making the dressing more than 6 hours in advance. Avocados turn brown when exposed to air, and nobody wants a browned salad dressing.
Making your own croutons is ridiculously easy, but honestly, store-bought ones work great here too. (We’ve tried and loved both.)
Most homemade croutons are a little more involved with olive oil and/or butter and seasonings added to the bread, but to keep this Kale Avocado Salad super simple, I just tore apart day-old rolls and toasted the pieces in the oven. These “croutons” don’t get too much easier than that.
I typically use crusty day-old rolls or bread (like sourdough or ciabatta), but any bread or roll will work. The softer or fresher the bread is, the most time it’ll likely need in the oven to toast.
Serve this Kale Avocado Salad as a main dish
This salad is surprisingly filling and can easily pass as a main dish with a little protein added in. Here are some of our favorite additions:
- Chicken：Any leftover cooked chicken works fine; I’m partial to leftover grilled chicken from thischicken marinade食谱。
- Hard boiled eggs：我用这个deviled egg recipeas a guide to cooking hard boiled eggs; once cooked, chop them up and add them in.
- 谷物：Cook upquinoa，大麦，FARRO，甚至一些扁豆，一旦冷却，折腾他们在沙拉的蛋白质提升。
- Swap out the greens:虽然这是一个kalesalad, you can swap out the kale for baby spinach or romaine lettuce.
- Try a different dressing:Not a fan of avocado? I’d recommend a Caesar salad-type dressing instead. If you’re looking to grab a store bought dressing, I do likeMarzetti’s® Caesar Salad Dressing(not sponsored).
- I recommend usingroasted salted sunflower seeds;the saltiness of these seeds adds the perfect seasoning to this salad.
- Grate Parmesan with a microplane;I like grating the cheese finely over the salad using amicroplane. Super-finely shredded Parmesan integrates into the salad (and every bite) better.
- Chill kale and dressing;If you have the time, chill the dressing and the washed (and dried) kale for 20-30 minutes before making the rest of the salad.
- The dressing can be blended and kept in the refrigerator up to 6 hours in advance. I like to store it in the blender jar with the lid and then give it one more blitz before pouring it over the salad.
- The kale can be prepared 5 to 6 hours in advance and so can all the veggies; store kale and veggies together, covered in the fridge. I wouldn’t recommend cutting the avocado in advance as it will brown.
- Grate the cheese, bake the croutons, and measure out the sunflower seeds up to a day in advance; just store these all separately.
- 把everything together just before eating.
- Quinoa Saladwith a lemon vinaigrette
- Pesto Chicken Saladserved on croissants
- Apple Saladwith an apple cider vinaigrette
- Olive Garden Saladwith an Italian-inspired dressing
- Panzanella Saladwith a balsamic vinaigrette
KaleAvocado沙拉是挤满了令人难以置信的味道和质地惊人。Fresh kale is topped with crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado slices, roasted sunflower seeds, crunchy croutons, and tangy Parmesan cheese. This salad is tossed in a vibrant avocado-lemon dressing.
- 2-2.5cupsday-old crusty bread or rolls or store-bought croutons
- 8ounces (6 cups; loosely measured)kale
- 1and 1/4cupshalved cherry tomatoes(~1/2 pint)
- 1and 1/2cups黄瓜切片(3 Persian or 1 English cucumber(s))
- 1/3cuproasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 1/4cupmayonnaise(I recommend Best Foods/Hellmanns)
- 1/2tablespoonDijon mustard
- Salt, pepper, & water
油炸面包块：Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Tear apart crusty rolls or bread into small 1-inch pieces. Spread in an even layer on a sheet pan and bake for 8-12 minutes or until toasted. Remove and let cool. Alternatively use store-bought croutons.
KALE:先把茎粗,然后非常thinly slice (ribbon) or chop the kale (the smaller the shreds of kale, the better). Once it's all chopped, put it in a colander (or the base of a蔬菜脱水），并给它一个快速冲洗。在上面撒一些细微的海盐（约1/2至1茶匙满），并使用你的手，揉搓并按摩盐金莎城赌城网站放入羽衣甘蓝。按摩羽衣甘蓝约一分钟，然后给它一个快速冲洗金莎城赌城网站。允许羽衣甘蓝完全干燥before using in the salad. If you have a salad spinner, spin until it is thoroughly dried.
VEGGIES：Halve the cucumbers and then slice thinly to get half moons. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Thinly slice or chop the remaining avocado half. Add all the veggies on top of the kale. Pour dressing over and toss until combined. Add 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, and croutons on top. Toss once more and serve.